Easy to make. Delicious and light. But full of nutrition. Cauliflower rice is a true feel good dish. Great as Lunch or as a side dish!
Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
🥘 Main ingredients
- olive oil
- mint leaves
- coriander leaves
- cherry tomatoes
What a super yummy lunch this was, the roasted aubergine with cauliflower rice! It is super tasty, easy and healthy at the same time. If you want to keep your lunch light, just use less olive oil.
So while I was busy thinking about three complete different cauliflower dishes, to show how extremely versatile this healthy vegetable is, I decided to include cauliflower rice. But I wasn't sure yet with what. I looked in my fridge and the aubergines needed using. So why not roast the aubergine and top it with a herby cauliflower rice. So there it started...
Somehow textures are always terribly important to me in a dish. That is why I decided to use 1 aubergine to make crispy aubergine slices. It gives you the perfect crunchiness. I kept these slices plain, but you can spice them up or bread them. Or add a spoonful of vegan aioli on the plate and dip the crisps in there, YUM!
So I ended up with mint and coriander in my cauliflower rice (which is what I had in my fridge), but to be honest you can use any herbs for this. Think of;
- spring onions
Or you could easily make it more nutty by adding some nuts or seeds, like;
- Toasted almonds, walnuts or pine nuts. Or go for some toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds.
Cooked cauliflower rice can last well in the fridge for about 4 days. I personally recommend to use it fresh though.
You can freeze cauliflower rice by freezing the grated cauliflower before cooking. Make sure you press all the water out before freezing. And it is ready for baking or cooking whenever you are.
There are a million ways you can use cauliflower rice. In this case I used roasted aubergine, but be creative and find your own favourites. I would love to hear about them. Add @haricoco1 to your instagram post, or comment down below.
- 2 aubergines cut one in half other in slices
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic peeled roughly sliced
- ⅓ of a head of cauliflower roughly cut in parts
- small bunch of mint leaves chopped
- small bunch of coriander leaves chopped
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C / 350F
- prepare an oven tray with 2 halves of aubergine skin side down, with a sharp pointy knife score the flesh of the aubergine halves in a criss-cross pattern.
- Divide the garlic slices over the two aubergine halves and stick the slices into the flesh
- Add some salt, and drizzle with a good mount of olive oil.
- Roast them for approx. 40 - 45 minutes. half way through add some more olive oil.
- Put the aubergine slices in a bowl and add olive oil and salt, and mix well.
- On an oven tray covered with foil spray some olive oil and layer all the slices on the tray, Roast the slices for approx. 30 minutes until crispy.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half, drizzle a little oil and salt on top and roast for approx. 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile grate the cauliflower parts in your food processor with the fine grater (you can do this by hand with a hand grater). Make sure your cauliflower is washed and well dried. If it is too wet it will go mushy.
- Heat a little bit of olive oil (or other vegetable oil) in a pan and pan-fry the cauliflower rice with a pinch of salt, until it lightly starts browning.
- Add the herbs just at the end.
- Assemble your plate with the roasted aubergine half, topped with the cauliflower rice, and some of the tomato halves, season with salt and pepper. Keep the aubergine crisps on the side.