This roasted red pepper salad is so easy, and quick to make. It is a great little dish to have ready in your fridge. You can add it as a side to your Mediterranean style dishes. Or just enjoy it as a little tapas with some rustic bread. Great as a snack, or add it to your favourite sandwich.
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
The Ingredients are just few;
- Red bell pepper (paprika)
- garlic clove
- quality olive oil
- sherry vinegar
- Tomato (optional)
This salad is very flavoursome because of the roasting of the pepper, during which the sugars caramelise and the pepper gets its sweet and deep flavours. Which work fabulous with the acidity of the sherry vinegar.
The usage of good high quality olive oil, and vinegar are recommended for this red pepper salad. You can play with the amount of onion, and garlic you use. Try different proportions and adjust to your own personal liking.
💭 Top tips
Easy peeling a roasted pepper.
Roast the pepper until the skin is fully or partially blackened. This will not only make it easier to peel the pepper, but it definitely adds to the flavour. Once the pepper is nicely roasted and you can see that the skin has loosened; wrap the pepper in aluminium foil. This will make peeling so much easier.
Leave the pepper until cooled down enough to easily handle with bare hands. Unwrap the pepper, slice the pepper open on one side, and discard the core, and all its seeds. Now you are able to layer the pepper in one long piece, skin side up, on your cutting board. Peel the skin off, and start slicing the pepper in your preferred thickness.
You can use roasted red pepper as well for a great hot spicy salsa. Check out my hot roasted pepper salsa, for taco's or to spice up any other dishes.
Enjoy one of my favourite Spanish tapas dishes! So easy, but oh so flavoursome! Add @haricoco1 to your insta posts to share how we all use this salad in different ways.
- 1 large red bell peppers whole
- 1 small tomato
- ½ small onion
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- pinch of salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C / 400F
- Roast the red bell pepper, tomato and onion in the oven.
- The tomato and the onion only lightly roasted, so the onion is nicely softened, but not browned.
- Roast the red bell pepper until the skin is blackened, or partly blackened. Which will take approx. 40 minutes.
- When ready, wrap the red bell pepper in some aluminium foil, this will loosen the skin even more, so it will be easier to de-skin later.
- Mince the garlic fine, chop the tomato finely, and chop the onion finely.
- Keep these in a small bowl or tupperware.
- Unwrap the bell pepper, slice it carefully open on one side making sure to keep all the nice sweet roasting juice.
- Take the core and all seeds out of the pepper, and spread the flesh of the pepper on your cutting board blackened skin on the top.
- It should by now be really easy to peel the skin of the pepper.
- Once all the skin is off and discarded. You can slice the pepper in fine stripes.
- Add all these finely sliced stripes of pepper to the rest of your ingredients in the bowl.
- Add the olive oil, the sherry vinegar and a pinch of salt
- Taste and adjust the seasoning to your likening.
- Leave to chill in the fridge minimum 2 hours.
Yummy salad recipe which is part of my; 'Travels of taste'. Where we meet other cultures through food. If you are ready to imagine yourself travelling around the Mediterranean while sensing its salty air & hot summers and tasting its incredible variety of fresh food. Check out my full Mediterranean 'travels of taste' post; >>> The Med; Olive oil, herbs & fresh produce.