This recipe for a home made red curry paste is so easy. It just needs a good blender, and that's it!
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
🥘 Main ingredients
- cumin powder
- coriander powder
- white pepper ground
- turmeric ground
- fresh red chilli
- red bell pepper
- ginger or galangal
- makrut lime (kaffir lime)
- agave or maple syrup
- avocado oil
💭 Tips on keeping & variations
Once you get used to make your own curry paste there is no going back. Simply because it is so easy to do, and you know exactly what is in it. You can keep your red curry paste for about 1 month in the fridge, if it is well sealed. But it is easy freezable as well. So no reason not to give it a try, and make your own pastes from now on.
You can of course just follow the recipe, but you will probably notice after a few times of making your own red curry paste that there is not necessarily one specific recipe. It all depends on your own personal liking.
You can adjust any curry paste recipe to your own liking. Use your preferred spices, preferred level of heat, acidity, or sweetness. Really everything is possible.
The very basic main ingredients I always like to use are (in general for any curry paste);
- fresh lemongrass
- fresh ginger
- chilli peppers ( i only can get red ones)
- lime juice
- fresh coriander
And then I just add spices i prefer to use at that moment.
For a green curry paste I use a green bell pepper as base, and for a red curry paste I use a red bell pepper.
You could add lots of other ingredients, but be aware with certain ingredients the paste might not last in the fridge for up to a month. Adding a bit of salt always helps for keeping your paste, and putting a drizzle of oil on top before closing your jar extends the life of your paste.
A home made fresh curry paste Green or red, can be used in many different dishes to spice up your dish. Think of soups, stews, curries (obviously) or use them in your dumplings.
- A super tasty and comforting Red curry noodle soup
- Or a creamy sweet potato curry
Let me know of any exciting recipes you came up with. Add @haricoco1 to your instagram posts, so we can share our prefered curry pastes!
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon white pepper ground
- 1 teaspoon turmeric ground
- 2 fresh red chilli
- 4 cloves of garlic peeled
- 5 small shallots roughly chopped
- 1 red pepper roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger or galangal finely chopped
- 2 cm skin zest of makrut lime kaffir lime
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 tablespoon of agave or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil
- Add first the red pepper to a food processor and blend.
- Followed by the shallots and garlic.
- Then add all the rest, and blend very well,.. be patience.
Leave a Reply