I love this red curry and noodle soup, it gives all the flavours you expect from Asian cuisine. With the noodles, it becomes very comforting and filling.
It is so easy and quick to make, perfect for a lunch, or a starter for an Asian-style dinner.
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
🥘 Main ingredients
- red bell pepper
- green beans
- kale or other green leaves
- home-made vegetables stock
- coconut oil
- home-made red curry paste
- coconut milk
- rice noodles
You could use shop bought red curry paste, but I always like to make my own. It is too easy and quick and so much better, as you know exactly what goes in there.
If you pour the paste into a glass jar, and seal it well, you could keep it in the fridge for about 1 month. You can use it in many different curries, or to spice up your soups. This curry paste is great to have in the fridge (and freezable!), ready to go.
💭 Tips on variation
The red curry and noodle soup can be completely adjusted to your own liking. I used red pepper, green beans and kale. But you can use any vegetables you like, think of;
- sweet potato
- fresh corn
Just keep in mind to adjust the cooking time to the required cooking time for your chosen vegetables.
Personally I am a big fan of coconut milk and coconut cream. But I guess you could use any other non-dairy cream if you don't like coconut. I do think that this dish does need a cream to add to the richness, and textures of this soup. But it could be a soy based cream.
🍷 Wine pairing with curry
I have chosen the picture of a refreshing glass of Rose, because I think that a fresh and very fruity rose would pair well with this soup. But as this soup is very coconut curry like, you might want to try an off-dry riesling, like a sweet kabinett or spätlese. If you prefer more rich textures in your wine, an off-dry chenin blanc from vouvrey could just be your match.
If you use this recipe, please add @haricoco1 to your instagram post. I think it is great to be able to share new ideas and new inspirations. Let me know which veggies you used, and how hot you made your red curry and noodle soup.
- 1 red pepper thinly sliced
- 300 g green beans in bite size pieces
- Handful of kale or other green leaves
- 1200 ml home-made vegetables stock
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 2 cm fresh ginger finely chopped
- 2 - 3 tablespoon home-made red curry paste
- 220 ml coconut milk
- 2 tablespoon of red curry paste home made
- 200 g rice noodles
- Juice of ½ lime
- Salt and pepper
- Handful of coriander chopped
- Heat the coconut oil in a sauce pan, add the ginger and garlic, stir for 3 minutes.
- Add the red curry paste, and give it a stir.
- Add the red pepper slices, stir for 1 or 2 minutes so the flavours are well released.
- Pour in the stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and add the noodles and green beans.Leave to simmer (covered) for approx. 10 minutes till noodles and beans are cooked.
- If you are using the kale you can put the kale leaves on top of the soup after 5 minutes and put the lid back on, so they steam ready. If you are using spinach you can wait and add it just 3 – 4 minutes before serving.
- Check if beans and noodles are cooked. Pour in the coconut milk, and the lime juice, and season to liking.
- Serve with a bit of fresh coriander on top.
Leave a Reply