Life would be boring without pickled red onions. I always have them ready in the fridge, to spice up any dishes, snacks, and sandwiches. A 'must-have' in your fridge!
Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
🥘 Main ingredients
- Red onions
- hot water
- Apple cider vinegar
Just a few ingredients to make the best condiment.
💭 Tips and thoughts
Shown here is a very basic, easy and simple recipe to make Pickled red onions. You can easily adjust this recipe to your own liking.
- Instead of red onions I often use shallots. A great little sharp kick they give.
- I have chosen to use unrefined coco sugar (there fore the colour). But you can use any type of sugar or sweetener to pickle your onions. You might want to adjust the amounts to your own liking.
- The only salt I have in my house is local sea salt. But feel free to use any salt you like.
- I like the use of hot (not boiling) water, simply because the sugar and salt dissolves straight away. This is not necessary, I know many people who don't do this.
- Apple cider vinegar is for me the best vinegar to use in this recipe. But be creative and use other vinegar's to get different flavours.
- I love throwing in a few peppercorns, which just gives this extra little kick. But if you want more kick, why not add a red chili pepper or crushed red pepper flakes. Other spices to use are; Star anis, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, mustard seeds and so on. Or throw in some cut garlic cloves, or add a sprig of herbs.
- Simmer the onions shortly within the pickle liquid and you will get softer and slightly mellowed onions. Don't forget to let it cool down before closing the lid.
There are so many ways to make the pickled onions your own. Try, be creative, and comment down below if you like to share your ideas.
🥗 Serving ideas
The pickled red onions are so versatile! You can basically use them on anything you like. Here some of my ideas;
- Use them as topping on a curry or stew, you will add not only flavour but as well texture to your dish. They would pair beautifully with the sweetness and creaminess of sweet potato curry.
- Add them to any of your favourite salads. I love using them on a roasted beetroot salad, as the earthiness and sweetness of the beets really go well with the spiky sweet acidity of the onions
- A great addition as a topping to your vegan burger.
- Add them to your sandwiches, wraps or pizza's!
- Top a baked potato, or baked sweet potato with these yummy pickled onions.
- Traditionally they pair fantastic with most Mexican dishes.
All and all, they bring flavour, texture, and colour to many dishes!
Once you start making this easy, quick condiment you don't want to be without anymore. Please share any of your creative ideas in the comments below or add @haricoco1 to your insta post.
- 2 red onions sliced into thin rings
- 115 ml (½ cup) apple cider vinegar
- 115 ml (½ cup) hot water
- 1 Tablespoon sugar (or any other sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 peppercorns whole
- Pour the hot water in a clean jar
- Add the sugar and salt and stir well.
- Pour in the apple cider vinegar.
- Add to the jar all your thinly sliced red onion. It is fine if it is fully packed.
- Add the peppercorns, and close the lid.
- Leave for 1 day in the fridge.
- Serve on top of your salads, burgers, in sandwiches or wraps. Or add them to any other dishes to add a nice spike to your dishes.
Leave a Reply