This roasted parsnip and roasted garlic soup, is delicious and rich. I love the nutty flavour of parsnip, which is sweetened because of the roasting process with syrup. It is a beautiful blend of flavours.
Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
🍵 Main ingredients
- maple syrup or agave
- olive oil
- fresh thyme
- home-made vegetable stock
- pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- fresh chives
An all time favourite, roasted garlic! Every time i turn the oven on for roasting, I throw a head of garlic in. If it doesn't get eaten with the dish, than it gets eaten in following days. I often just spread it on a piece of bread, and have it as a little snack. Great with some good quality olive oil.
In this dish it just adds to the savoury sweetness of the dish. The parsnip and garlic go beautiful together, and make a perfect flavoursome blend.
Other classic winter soup ideas;
🍷 Wine pairing with soup
Wine pairing with soups is never really easy, as you are pairing two liquids, so the weight and textures have the same factors. But that makes it even more interesting!
With this soup a light, fruity pinot or beaujolais pairs well. Because it is lighter in body than the roasted vegetable soup so it doesn't compete with each other. But funnily enough from a whole different perspective (different characteristics), a nice amontillado sherry might just pair beautiful with the sweetness and nuttiness of this dish.
Great wintery soup to try on a cold grey day. Let your day be sweetened with this delicious nutty, savoury and sweet roasted parsnip & garlic soup. If you use this recipe; Add @haricoco1 to your instagram post, or leave a comment below. Sharing food gives inspiration.
- 2 large parsnips approx.800gr, roughly chopped in 2 cm pieces
- 10 garlic cloves
- 2 large onions thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon of maple syrup or agave
- 3 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 large sprigs of rosemary
- ½ tablespoon of fresh thyme
- Juice of 1clemon
- 1250 ml 5 cups home-made vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Handful of pumpkin seeds
- 1 Handful of sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon of fresh chives finely chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / 360F
- Prepare a roasting tray and massage the parsnip pieces in olive oil, your choice of syrup and sea salt.
- Place them on the roasting tray together with the garlic cloves.
- Add the rosemary and thyme to the tray, and put into the hot oven.
- Roast your vegetables for approx. 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the rest of the olive oil in a saucepan, and add the sliced onion.
- Leave them to cook on a low heat for approx. 20 minutes, until they are nicely softened, but not browned.
- When the parsnips are nicely roasted add them to the onions.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic out of their skins, and add them as well.
- Pour in the home-made stock and leave to gently simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile toast your pumpkin and sunflower seeds in a hot dry pan, and decant.
- Once your soup has cooled down enough, blend the ingredients together with a hand blender or a food processor.
- Return the soup to the saucepan and re-heat.
- Season your soup with the lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- And scatter some seeds and chives on top before serving.
Leave a Reply