These Mediterranean roasted vegetables are so easy to make, and make for such a delicious lunch, or side dish.
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
🥘 Main ingredients
- red bell pepper (paprika)
- garlic cloves
- basil leaves
- quality olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- coarse sea salt / pepper
The preparation is very minimal, as most of the work is done by the oven. For roasting vegetables you will need a nice hot oven, minimum 200C / 400F. Keep a good eye on the roasting process, as the vegetables will not all roast at the same speed, and might need turning over at different moments.
With this recipe I decided to keep the flavours very pure. The North Mediterranean cuisine is known for using the pure flavours of the produce, rather than using lots of spices or over-powering herbs.
The sweet roasted garlic cloves really add to the overall flavour experience. And the vinaigrette and basil give it that Mediterranean final touch. For a little crunch you could add some pine nuts.
Depending on your own personal taste, other herbs you might use with this dish are;
- a mixture of pan fried sage, capers, garlic and lemon juice.
🥗 Serving suggestions
As a lunch I would enjoy these Mediterranean roasted vegetables just with a bit of toast, or rustic bread, and a fresh tomato salad. The perfect Mediterranean lunch!
As a dinner you can use this recipe as a starter on its own, or as a side dish with, for example; vegan 'meat'balls or a veggie burger.
🍷 Wine pairing
When roasting vegetables the vegetables loose their fresh plant-like flavours, and become a lot more complex. The sugars will caramelise and the flavours become deep and rich. With such a richness in flavours I would suggest going for a red. Think of a Australian or Rhone valley Syrah, a Merlot, a zinfandel or an Italian Chianti. They will all stand up well against this full flavoured dish.
This recipe really sends you in no time to the Mediterranean coast line. Wherever you find yourself in the world. These flavours will make you smell the salty Mediterranean and feel its hot sun. Enjoy this easy recipe! and let me know your thoughts @haricoco1 (insta)
- 1 aubergine sliced
- 1 courgette sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper sliced in equal parts
- 1 onion quartered
- 6 whole garlic cloves
- 10 - 12 basil leaves
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- coarse sea salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C / 400F
- Prepare all vegetables, and put them together in a bowl. Add 2 tablespoon of olive oil and sea salt, making sure all veggies are well coated in olive oil and the coarse sea salt.
- Layer your slices of vegetable and the whole garlic cloves on a roasting tray, and roast them for approx. 40 minutes.
- Check the vegetables regularly,and turn them over when needed. (some will roast quicker than others)
- Meanwhile prepare a small bowl with 2 tablespoon of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and soak the basil leaves in that vinaigrette mixture.
- When all the vegetables are nicely roasted and slightly browned, take them out of the oven to cool down slightly.
- Take 4 garlic cloves, de-skin and mash up the roasted soft garlic flesh, so you get a little bit of a garlic puree.
- Stack the slices of roasted vegetables, and spread a little bit of the garlic puree between some of the stacked slices (doesn't have to be between every single layer).
- When your vegetable tower is ready, pour over the vinaigrette mixture with some of the basil leaves.
- Add the last garlic cloves, and serve straight away.
This 'Travels of taste' ; Mediterranean roasted vegetables. Takes you straight to the Mediterranean basin. Get ready to travel around the Mediterranean while sensing its sea air & hot summers while tasting its incredible variety of fresh food. Check out my full Mediterranean 'travels of taste' post; >>> The Med; Olive oil, herbs & fresh produce.
Leave a Reply