This recipe for a home made green curry paste is so easy. It just needs a good blender, and that’s it! Use it for any of your full flavoured Asian dishes.
Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
🍵 Main ingredients
- green bell pepper (paprika)
- makrut (kaffir) lime zest
- fresh ginger
- green chilli's
- fresh coriander
- dried galanga (optional)
- coriander seeds
- black pepper
- soy sauce
- olive oil
Once you get used to make your own curry paste there is no going back. Simply because it is so easy to do, and you know exactly what is in it. You can keep your green curry paste for about 3 - 4 weeks in the fridge, if it is well sealed. But it is easy freezable too. So no reason not to give it a try, and make your own pastes from now on.
You can of course just follow the recipe, but you will probably notice after a few times of making your own green curry paste that there is not necessarily one specific recipe. It all depends on your own personal liking.
You can adjust any curry paste recipe to your own liking. Use your preferred spices, preferred level of heat, acidity, or sweetness. Really everything is possible.
My main base ingredients I always like to use are (in general for any curry paste);
- fresh lemongrass
- fresh ginger and/or galanga
- chilli peppers
- makrut lime zest (=kaffir lime)
- lime juice
And then I just add the spices i prefer to use at that moment.
For a red curry paste I use a red bell pepper as base, and for a green curry paste I use a green bell pepper. But you could use spinach as well, which gives a beautiful colour.
You could add lots of other ingredients, but be aware with certain ingredients the paste might not last in the fridge for up to a month. Adding a bit of salt always helps for keeping your paste, and putting a drizzle of oil on top before closing your jar extends the life of your paste.
Use this green curry paste in any curry, Asian soups, or to spice up a vegetable mixture. For some recipes my Red curry paste recipe might be more appropriate.
Let me know of any exciting recipes you came up with. Add @haricoco1 to your instagram posts, so we can share our preferred curry pastes!
green curry paste
- 2 lemongrass only use part which is slightly purple inside (lower end) finely chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper paprika, deseeded & chopped
- ½ tsp kaffir lime zest, very finely chopped or kaffir leaves
- 5 cm / 2inch of fresh ginger peeled and chopped
- 4 small green chilli's
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- Bunch of fresh coriander leaves and stalks
- 1 Lime zest and juice
- 2,5 cm /1inch of dried galanga infused in little water
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds lightly toasted
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Use only the infused water from the dry galanga. Or if you can get fresh galanga use the fresh one.
- Chop 1 cm of the bottom of the lemongrass, and you will see a slightly purpled inside. Use only the part with that colour inside, wich is normally about 4 - 5 cm long.
- Get all your ingredients ready, and use a food processor to blitz it into a paste.