Full of flavour and refreshing at the same time. This green bean and potato salad can be served warm or cold, as a main meal or a side dish. *suggested wine pairing included.
Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
🥘 Main Ingredients
- Green beans
- Cayenne pepper
- Spring onions
- Pine nuts, or Almonds
- Olive oil
All ingredients are prepared separately and combined just before serving. This way they keep their own flavours and textures, and gives every bite a different experience.
This is my type of dish 😉 For me a good recipe is all about texture, and flavours. The spiced potatoes will bring a bit of kick. The pan fried courgettes will release their natural nuttiness. And the green beans mixed with coriander and lime will bring a bite and a tang.
All combined together... an amazingly tasty and nutritious dish!
If you are as crazy about green beans as I am then check out my spicy sichuan green bean recipe. For lovers of spiciness and green beans!
The different Step to take...
Roasted spiced potatoes.
Cayenne pepper brings a beautiful & warming heat to your potatoes. Rub all the potatoes in a good amount of olive oil, coarse sea salt and cayenne pepper (as much or little as you like) Roast for approx. 40 - 45 minutes in a pre-heated oven 180C / 360F. Turn occasionally, until all the potatoes are slightly crisp on all sides.
Pan fried courgettes
Slice the courgettes in even slices, and heat your pan medium hot. Use a vegetable oil and a pinch of salt to pan fry the courgette slices golden brown. This is the moment when they release their natural nutty flavours. You can leave them on paper towel to drain most of the oil off.
Well dressed green beans
Boil the green beans for about 7 minutes, so they still have a nice bite to them. Drain and salt the beans while still warm. When they are slightly cooled down, add them to a bowl with lots of lime juice and coriander, leave to marinade.
Of course you can choose any toppings of your liking. In this recipe I topped the salad with spring onions, coriander and toasted pine nuts. Other options could be; Mint, chives, olives, almonds, sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds. And many more!
🍷 Wine pairing
This potato and green bean salad recipe is a very flavoursome with strong textures. On the picture you can just see the bottle I enjoyed with it, but for a more budget friendly option you can enjoy this dish with any full and rich white. Like a Chardonnay, or Alsatian Pinot gris. But I think a light fruity red would actually pair nicely too, a Beaujolais, a young Nebbiolo from Italy, or a nice and light Pinot noir.
If you try this recipe, or experiment with it, Let me know! I always LOVE to see pictures, or read the comments. Make sure to add @Haricoco1 on your instagram picture. Have Fun with it!
- 2 courgettes sliced in long even slices
- 6 Small potatoes cut in 2cm pieces
- 400 grams 2 cups + ⅔ cup green beans
- bunch of coriander chopped roughly
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¾ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 3 spring onions 1 cut in diagonal slices and the rest roughly chopped
- Handful of lightly toasted pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pre-warm the oven to 180°C / 360 Fahrenheit
- Pre-boil the potatoes for 5-7 minutes and let them cool down. When cool enough to handle, rub them in olive oil, sea salt and cayenne pepper.
- Cut the ends of the green beans and boil them for about 7 minutes in unsalted water, until just cooked. When ready drain and add a little bit of salt (while still warm). When they are cooled down, put them in a bowl and add most of the lime juice (save a little for the courgettes).
- If the oven has reached the right temperature, put the potatoes in the oven to roast. Check and turn over half way through roasting. The total roasting time will be around 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile slice the courgette in nice long even slices (with a mandolin or knife) and grill them in a griddle pan or on a barbeque. I actually did mine in a very hot pan which worked well. Add a sprinkle of salt so they release their juices.
- When the slices of courgettes are nicely grilled on both sides, let them cool down separately. Don’t toss them on top of each other as they will all stick together and go soggy. Drizzle the remaining lime juice on top of the courgettes.
- Lightly toast the pine nuts in a skillet (quick way) or oven.
- Add almost all coriander (save some for decorating) to the bowl with green beans. And toss well.
- Check on your roasting potatoes which should be nicely browned by now.
- When the roasted potatoes are slightly cooled down (can be still warmish) add them to the green beans and make sure they are well coated with lime juice and coriander.
- Now we have all the ingredients prepared, it’s time for plating.
- Start with a good amount of green beans & potatoes. Roll the courgette slices in little roses, and let them sit in and on top of the green beans and potatoes. Stick long slices of spring onion all over the salad, and scatter smaller pieces over the dish. Add the pine nuts and the remaining coriander. You can use 1 slice of lime for decoration.