This roasted carrot and coriander soup is such a lovely , smooth and comforting soup. Very easy and quick to make. Make it in a big batch and freeze. To always have a good, healthy and flavoursome option ready.
Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
🥘 Main ingredients
- coriander (cilantro)
- cumin powder
- coriander powder
- ginger powder
- cayenne pepper flakes
- olive oil
- vegetable stock (recipe home-made stock)
The soup is very easy adjustable to your personal liking. In this recipe I have added a good amount of spices. This can be reduced or adjusted to your own liking or preference. If you like to have an extra tang to it, add a good splash of lime juice at the end, which works wonders with the coriander.
Or you might want to add some coconut milk or cream. Which would would make this soup more creamier and milder. In this particular recipe I wanted to really keep the flavours of the sweet roasted carrots. Keeping the vegetable flavour strongly present and keeping it pure.
By roasting the carrots, the sugars are released and therefore the carrots become naturally sweeter. This pairs well with the added spices. It creates a beautiful balance between the flavours of this carrot and coriander soup.
🍷 Wine pairing
The sweetness of this dish would let me lean towards an off-dry white. Like an off-dry Riesling. But with the large amount of coriander used in this dish, I would like to find a lighter bodied white. Which would send me more towards a New world Sauvignon Blanc. Still very aromatic, but lighter in body.
So flavoursome and healthy. I hope you enjoy this soup recipe as much as I do. If you do use this recipe , add @haricoco1 to your instagram post,or comment below. Cheers!
- 8 large carrots roughly chopped in 2cm pieces
- 1 bunch of coriander including stalks
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes or cayenne pepper
- 1250 ml 5 cups home-made vegetable stock
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 190°C / 375 F.
- Massage the carrot pieces in 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and some sea salt.
- Place them on a roasting tray, and once the oven is hot, roast the carrots for approx. 25 minutes. Until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan over medium – high heat and add the chopped onion, once they begin the soften (approx. 5 minutes) add the chopped garlic for another minute.
- Add all the ground spices, stir everything well for 30 seconds.
- Add the coriander including stalks (keep some leaves seperate for decoration).
- Add the vegetable stock, and bring to a low simmer.
- Once the carrots are nicely roasted add them to the rest, and let everything lightly simmer for another 10 more minutes.
- Take off the heat, and allow to cool slightly.
- Pour the soup into a blender / food processor, and blend until nice and smooth.
- Return the soup to the saucepan, re-heat and season to liking.
Leave a Reply