This BBQ Coleslaw is a delish on your favourite vegan burger, as a side dish with your vegan BBQ or just on a sandwich. It goes with almost everything and you can make it as hot or mild as you would like it.
Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
🥘 Main ingredients
- Red cabbage
- White cabbage
- Olive oil
- BBQ sauce
- vegan mayonnaise
- Dijon Mustard
- Cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
For digestive reasons I always prefer to cook any cabbages instead of using them raw. With this recipe the cabbages are pre-roasted, and this releases already those beautiful BBQ type of flavours. The texture still keeps a bit of crunchiness, which blends nicely with the addition of the raw sliced carrots in the coleslaw. The onions give it its strong flavour and juicy crunch. If you happen to have some pickled red onions leftover. Top the BBQ coleslaw with these, it will add a nice additional bit of acidity.
For the BBQ sauce you can just hop to the shop. But making your own BBQ sauce is really easy , and so much healthier. For the most healthy option use a home made tomato puree instead of ketchup. Same story for the mayonnaise. I know there are lots of vegan mayonnaises on the market, but really making your own makes such an enormous difference! Very handy as it has a long shelf-life, so you can make a big pot and just keep it in your fridge for a month (or even longer).
Enjoy your BBQ coleslaw on its own with some fresh bread or add it to your great veggie burger, or to some baked falafels.
There is a short instruction video in the recipe card.
You can add some extra tang by adding more lemon or lime in the dressing. Make sure to add @haricoco1 to your Instagram posts using this BBQ coleslaw. So we can share our ideas. Enjoy!!
This recipe was inspired by the amazing Bosh boys from Bosh.tv
- ½ red cabbage
- ½ white cabbage
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 150 grams (⅔ cups) BBQ sauce
- 1 onion thinly sliced in rings
- 2 carrots thinly sliced
Simple BBQ Sauce
- 200 grams (⅞ cup) ketchup for a healthier option make your own with fresh tomatoes
- 50 grams (⅕ cup) Dijon mustard
- 50 grams (¼ cup) brown sugar or use agave or maple
- ½ Teaspoon Vegan Worcestershire sauce substitude with soy or miso
- option; add a little bit of tabasco
- 2 limes juiced
- 200 grams (⅞ cup) vegan mayonnaise or go for the home made option
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pre-heat oven 180C / 350F
- Combine all BBQ sauce ingredients, and stir until smooth and until all the sugar is well dissolved.
- Discard the cores from the cabbages, and chop them in 4 equal parts.
- In a roasting dish rub the cabbage parts in olive oil and 150 grams of BBQ sauce
- Season with salt and pepper and roast them for approx. 45 minutes , until nicely browned but not black.
- Let the cabbages cool down
- Meanwhile Peel and finely slice the onion in rings, and peel and finely slice carrots in long thin slices.
- Combine all dressing ingredients and stir well until smooth
- When cabbages are cooled down, slice the parts in fine long ribbons.
- Combine everything in a bowl, stir well, and season to liking, add extra lime juice if needed.
Leave a Reply